Saturday, February 28, 2015

Painting the afternoon away...


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Home is Where the Heart is.


Last weekend I had the opportunity to spend an entire afternoon running errands and painting with my sister. We explored the craft store shelves and she envisioned transforming three small canvases into a trio of sky art while I envisioned filling a large canvas with a heart shaped city. I was drawn to the acrylic paints and splurged by purchasing all of the colors that spoke to me.

As we went to the checkout and paid for our items, I was reminded how much life has changed. We both have paychecks and buy our own art supplies now. Yet, it wasn't so very long ago that we were little girls running through the backyard until the sun drifted to the edge of the sky. It wasn't so long ago that we dropped dimes into the offering bowls at church because that was ten percent of our allowance. In some ways it feels like just yesterday that $5 made us feel rich as we skipped through the dollar store aisles. Now,  more than $5 can easily be spent on a single bottle of paint. We aren't little girls anymore.

As we sat in the kitchen and began to set up our supplies and prep to paint I smiled at the way the sunlight highlighted Dana's beautiful hair. I thought about the whispers she hears from the little girls each night she works at the local restaurant where she cleans and serves the customers.

"Look, Mommy! She has princess hair." the little girls often whisper to their mothers across the table.

It is true. My sister has beautiful princess hair that cascades down her back in gentle waves. She also has artistic hands that weave it into the most graceful braids. Graceful. She is so very graceful. She is graceful as she diligently scrubs the tables clean at work each night and greets the customers with a smile. She is graceful as she sits and devours book after book in the mornings as the sun glows through the living room curtains. She is graceful as she drives me to campus a few mornings each week and as she takes time to tidy her side of the room.

As we spent time painting together I was reminded of her graceful beauty as she sat painting in the afternoon sun. Her eyes sparkled with the joy of creativity as she brought her vision to life on the canvas.

We did not speak very much as we painted. Instead we let music dance around our brushstrokes and eventually we let happy silence whisper to our creative hearts. We painted, we were together, and we were joyfully living in that simple moment.

I need to finish touching up the messy bits of my painting and Dana is still creating her third piece, but I am so thankful for that beautiful time we spent together and painting the afternoon away. I am so thankful for my creative, graceful, intelligent, and kind sister. I cherish the time I spend with her.


Simply,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!