Monday, March 18, 2013

A poem offered and photos in response...

I am Offering this Poem

I hope you've had a Magnificent Monday! Recently I have been researching poetry for a college essay I will be writing this week. As I was researching I cam across a poem that made me smile. The poem is I am Offering this Poem by Jimmy Santiago Baca. As I read the poem there were specific lines that inspired me once again tonight. I thought how beautiful to imagine the poem as tangible and interwoven into the threads of a coat, warm socks, and a scarf. The imagery is vivid. And, the echoing "I love you" was so very beautiful too. As I sat re-reading the poem tonight I was suddenly inspired to create a photography set based on the inspiration of some of the lines.

And so, I dashed to get a few pictures before the sunlight was gone.

Then I wrapped myself in my winter coat,

Coat....

I wore a pair of thick socks,

Socks....

I wrapped a scarf around my hair with the ends around my face,

Scarf...

And I pondered the words and echoes of, "I love you."

Poetry can be beautiful, vivid, and thought provoking. One thing I wonder, if this poem was based in reality (and the voice of the narrator was really the voice of the author) did the one he loved ever read this poem? Did she ever know these "I love you" words and poem interwoven into garments were for her?

In case you would like to read the full poem, here is a link to it on the Poetry Foundation's page- I Am Offering this Poem.

What do you think of the poem?
Has poetry ever inspired you to be creative in some way?

Simply,
Sarah

P.S. My wonderful brother Micah kindly followed my directions and took the above pictures for me. He is such a good sport when it comes to my creative whims.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!