Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A picture free post...

Since I purchased Desi over a year ago I've taken many pictures, captured many beauty frames, and documented many memories.  Desi and I have shared many adventures.

Yesterday I knew I would be going to a park with my littlest brother and Luke to have some fun, let little buddy run off some energy, and enjoy a picnic. As I packed the picnic food I thought about bring Desi along to document the time. But, then I had another thought- "I want to be fully there in each moment today."

In that moment I realized something. Sometimes Desi helps me be fully in the moment even more. Looking at the world through Desi, capturing beauty frames, finding ways to document even the littlest things. Desi sometimes helps me be fully there amidst the day and the things that are easy to over look.

But, there are times Desi can distract me from being fully there. I can get too caught up in capturing and documenting to the point that I'm not fully in the moment. I take too much time thinking about capturing certain shots, about being careful with the camera, and so on. It can take away from the time.

So, yesterday I went to a park with little buddy and Luke. I walked along a lovely path with them, I smiled, I laughed, I shared, we talked, we played, ate yummy food, counted, walked some more, and made many memories.

When Luke and I sat on a bench while my brother tried to coax turtles to come near I never once thought about photographing any of it. I was fully there in that moment. I took that time to fully enjoy being beside Luke, watching my brother have little summer adventures, and feel the summer breeze move strands of hair across my cheeks. I was fully in that moment.

I think that I learned something yesterday...Photography is a wonderful thing. Desi is wonderful and I enjoy capturing beauty frames. But, there are times I need to set Desi aside and simply be fully in the moment. To fully be amidst the memory making with people that I care about.

Today I post without a single picture within this space. But, that's okay. It's a reminder of this lesson in taking time to fully be in the moments of yesterday.

Can you identify with this post?
Have you ever felt the need to set aside a camera to be fully in a moment or time?

Simply,
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post! It's so true that sometimes we should detach from things & just be in the moment! Sometimes memories & the feelings that we have are better than pictures anyway!! I am glad that you had a good time at the park! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I'm glad you liked the post.
      =) Yes, I definitely agree.

      I'm glad I had a good time too. =)

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you're talking about, Sarah. I've had the very same thought--that it's interesting how photography can HELP us appreciate the moment and other times it can DISTRACT us from the moment. And I pray we will always recognize the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so very true! Yes, I too pray that we'll use it in the proper times to help, yet also be willing to set it aside at the times when it distracts.

      Delete
  3. Seems that articles I am reading this week keep reminding me of you! Here's another on this very subject. . . but you wrote first!

    http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2012/08/03/the-courage-to-put-your-camera-away/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+between2worlds+%28Between+Two+Worlds%29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing!

      I followed the link you left and then went to the original source and read the full post.

      This paragraph really impacted me- "In our amazing era of digital immediacy, I can tell the world where I am and what I’m doing while I’m doing it. I can present myself as a busy man living a rich and full life. I can take pictures of my meals, log my locations, snap photos of the people I’m with, and weigh in on what’s happening around the globe 140 characters at a time. But none of these things mean I’ve been paying attention."

      If I could I would place that last sentence in thick bold letters.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!