Friday, June 29, 2012

My shadow friend and I...

I've always enjoyed imagining a playful shadow such as Peter Pan had. Shadows are very interesting things! In fact, my shadow surprised me the first few times I saw it after I cut my hair short! How different a shadow can be!

So, last night I decide to go out and play just my shadow and my camera with the evening sun.

Shadow friend1


Shadow friend2

Shadow friend3



As my shadow and I played I remembered a lovely poem I once read-

My Shadow
By Robert Louis Stevenson


I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow—
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all.

He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an errant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.


Now, I don't think that I could write a proper post about shadows if I didn't share two photos that I like so very much by the street artist named Katie Sokoler. These two photos enchanted me from the very moment that I first saw them!

Untitled

Untitled

Shadows are truly such interesting things!
At times your shadow may seem thoughtful or quiet, your shadow may seem lazy or cowardly at times as in the poem, or your shadow could also seem imaginative and caring like those in the street art. Yet, your shadow is unique no matter what! It shifts with time of day, with light, with what you wear, or how your hair is cut.

So, I hope that maybe this post has helped you remember your shadow if you happened to have forgotten.
And, maybe this post has made you smile and think of shadows in a more imaginative way.

What do you think of shadows?

Simply,
Sarah  


Sources and credits-
My Shadow Poem- Poetry Foundation
The last two pictures in this post are not my own. The photo credit belongs to Katie Sokoler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!