Tuesday, May 22, 2012

No more numbers game...

Today someone stopped following my blog.
Today someone else messaged me to share how much they enjoy my blog.
Today I learned something...


It is easy as a blogger to get swept up in the numbers "game" of popularity.
To think, "Why don't I have that many followers?" 
Or, to feel let down when a number drops.


But, here is what I was reminded of today-


Why do I blog?


Really, it is a good question.


Here are my thoughts...


1. I blog to keep my long distance family and friends updated on my life and health. It has become a great way to allow people to keep up with me on their own and then we can message, email, or call and we'll talk more in depth or catch up without having no idea where to start. (It also allows people to see that after all of this crazy health stuff I am okay. I'm not stuck in bed or gloomy all of the time.)
2. I blog for me. I've come to realize that this blog is a creative outlet. It is also a way that I document creativity, thoughts, and memories to look back on.
3. I blog in hopes of bringing joy, light, and hope to someone's life. If this blog encourages and blesses one person, then it is worth it.
4. I blog because this blog sphere is such an amazingly creative community and I enjoy being a part of it.

So, yes, there was a sad tug when I saw that I had "lost" a follower.
But, a number isn't what is important.
The things that really matter are the messages like today. 
The lovely person who messaged me and shared how much she liked my blog means more than numbers.
Numbers can be empty, numbers can rise and fall, and at the end of the day I don't write, create, or share on here for the numbers. 

I needed that reminder. I needed that reality check. It is easy to get caught up in the blog "popularity race".
But, tonight, I say, "No!"

Even if everyone stops following my blog and only my family reads it I will continue to write.
It's a creative expression and something that I desire to use as a beneficial blessing.

And, to you, dear readers, thank you.
If you follow me via email, if you comment often, if you follow in a blog reader, if you are a silent reader, if I know you in person, or if we've never met- thank you for reading. I truly hope that this blog is a place of joy, encouragement, creativity, and hope. Please know that I give thanks for every kind comment, email, message, or times that people have shared in person what they enjoy or what blesses them about my blog.

No more numbers game for me.
Instead I'll keep on writing, photographing, and sharing creativity purely out of joy!
If readership rises- I'll let it be.
If readership drops- I'll let it be.
I'll keep on being creatively me. 




Simply,
Sarah

P.S. First day of GED testing went well! One more time of testing and it will be officially complete!
It's hard to believe this chapter of life and education of high-school/GED prep are almost done.
I'll be walking that graduation walk at the start of June.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this!! Your blog is wonderful, no matter how many "followers" you have... I love to read what you share here & you are a very genuine person, I can see that clearly through your blog! That is what truly matters!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so encouraging!
      I'm so glad that you enjoy my blog and that you can see genuineness in it. =)

      Thank you for reading and always leaving such kind comments!

      Delete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!