Thursday, May 3, 2012

Creative restlessness and dreaming…

I'm going to let you in on a bit of the inner workings of my personality. Are you ready?

Sometimes I get creatively restless.

I do.
It's incredibly true.

And, sometimes I get creatively moody in my restlessness.

Let me explain.

Sometimes, I have this extreme restlessness to do something new, creative, or that I haven't done in awhile. To break out of my current pattern a little and be creative. Yesterday was one of those days. I felt creatively restless. Honestly, if I could drive, had a car, and money for gas I would probably have gone on a really long drive out in the country. I would have written poetry in the car, gotten out and taken pictures, or so on. But, I can't drive so I did the next best thing...I took a bit of time to go outside and write.


As I sat, I wrote in my journal and wrote a first draft of two poems and a song.
I went and sat on the front porch on the opposite side than usual.
I watched the cars drive by.
I was so still and quiet that I surprised and startled a stray cat when it walked around the bush and realized, "Oh! There's a person there! Eek!"

After the time of soaking up sunshine and enjoying the cool breeze I still felt restless.

I think that there have been so many emotions going on from last week that I'm emotionally a bit drained this week.

So, I went to a used bookstore. There is something about used bookstores. Surrounded by all those words I feel extra creative, inspired, and not as restless. I browsed the craft section and thought of creative projects, I took notes of book titles to look up at the library, touched a beautifully illustrated flower book, picked up a book to read with my littlest brother, and browsed a few other books. When I'm around all those words I feel inspired. It makes me want to write. It makes me want to have a book sit upon a shelf with words that I wrote with my little name upon the side of the binding.

When I read the dedication or forward of an author and hear about how hard they worked, the hours they put in, the support of their loved ones, it makes me want to write a book. To write a book and finally begin to be brave and enter the publishing world. To have a project that I'm so passionate about that I could get rejected 40 times and still keep trying.

And, I think I will.
Yesterday I began compiling a list of things that I want to do after I graduate.
One of them is write a book and become a published author.
I dream to write something that I'm passionate about and try, try, try until it one day sits upon a book shelf in its own proper cover.

Do you ever get creatively restless?
What do you do to help the restlessness?

Simply,
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about creatively restless, but I definitely get restless! I really miss the physical outlet of good, hard exercise - running, dancing, hiking until you are physically tired but feeling good and happy (without worrying about crashing!).

    I love browsing through bookstores!

    I have no doubt that you will meet your goals and become a published author. You are an extraordinary young woman!

    Enjoy the weekend -

    Sue

    Live with CFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue,

      I can identify with that sort of restlessness too.
      Before my health issues I enjoyed jogging, working out, and dancing out my restlessness at times. But, I'm grateful that I'm healthy enough now to go on little walks, dance a little in the kitchen (or a lot at prom), and be more active than I was a year ago. I guess we simply make the most of the blessings of each day don't we?

      I do too!

      Wow. Thank you, Sue! Your words blessed me so much. Your encouragement is extremely humbling and motivating at the same time.

      I hope that you are having a good Tuesday.

      Simply,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Hi, Sarah. I get totally creatively restless sometimes. Some blogs(like yours)and etsy shops inspire me. Just the images alone sometimes are enough to stimulate me to start doodling or painting, or rearranging things in my house. I have a toddler and baby now, so there's always something to do. But, an artist friend of mine says that if you really want to work on a creative project there is always at least a little time in every day. I use the excuse of "I have to make things to decorate the playroom." If a piece looks really crazy, I just call it 'abstract.' It brings me joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mishea!
      It was lovely to see a comment from you!

      Thank you again for blessing me by saying that my blog is one of the blogs that is inspiring to you.

      I'm so glad that even in the busy time of being a mom that you are finding ways to be creative! I hope that you continue to be creative, even if (as your friend shared) it is only a little bit at a time.

      Thanks again for leaving a comment!
      I enjoyed hearing from you.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!