Monday, December 19, 2011

In the midst of a waiting place...


There are times in life that it really feels like I'm in a waiting place as Dr. Seuss once wrote about-

"The Waiting Place...

...for the people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting."  -From Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

I’ve never been very good at being in the waiting place. Well, at least not when things aren't clearly defined like how long I’ll be there, when I will transition out of the waiting, and so on. I’ve always liked things to be clear cut. I’ve gotten better at waiting, trusting, and not having a melt-down if the tiniest change in plans occurs. (Exhibit A: When I was little if my Momma changed the order of errands we had planned on running in the afternoon without telling me, I sometimes had major melt downs in the back seat. Oh. Yes.) But, even though I have improved greatly, in all honesty I still like things to be orderly, on time, and clear cut.

Relationships aren’t always that way. In fact, maybe relationships are never that way completely. So, this rather clear cut, practical, structure loving gal might be having a bit of a difficult time in the midst of a, well, what might be defined as relational waiting place. I don’t know when it will be time for me to transition out of said waiting place, what the outcome will be, or well, much of anything at all. I’m in the waiting place. Not twiddling my thumbs, but also working hard to not pull my hair out.

I’ve found myself repeating Philippians 4:6-7 in my mind a lot lately-

“…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (ESV)

In life, I want my sight to be fixed on Him most of all. Not to say that I’m not seeing or looking upon anything else or anyone else around me in life, but I want my focus on Him most of all. Sometimes I get so caught up in over-thinking especially when I’m in the midst of a “waiting place”. But, I’m so thankful for the truth of those verses- His peace really does surpass all understanding and really does guard my heart and mind as I pray and humbling bring my requests before Him with thanksgiving.

Being in the waiting place isn’t easy, but thankfully the waiting places can also be growing places. In the midst of waiting and processing possible transitions I continue to find peace in Him. And, I have some of the most amazing parents in the world that share wisdom and help keep me well grounded in the midst of the waiting places and transition stages of life. (I love you Momma and Papa!)

So, I continue to trust, take deep breaths, and pick apart flowers and plants in the midst of waiting places and possible transitions of life. 

Have you experienced waiting places too?

Simply,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. I stink at waiting too. I always want everything figured out right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with that for sure!

    Hopefully each of us will continue to grow and get better at the difficulty of waiting well as we journey through life. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite verse right now, as I wait for the birth of this child! Beautiful post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! Thank you for linking up to my link party! I am so glad that I found your blog! So inspirational! I am following you on Bloglovin :)
    ~Kara
    www.petalstopicots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly- Oh my! That truly is a time of waiting. I'm glad you liked and took time to read this post. I hope it blessed you! May your little blessing have a wonderful entry into this world.

    Kara- Hi Kara!I'm very glad that I linked up and that you like my blog! Thanks for becoming a follower! =D

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!