Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Mema, the songbird...

That is my Mema.

I spent a special time with her today at her group home. She doesn't remember me.
But, I don't let that overwhelm me. Instead, I treasure each moment, each smile, each squeeze of my hand, and each hug.

She and some of the other residents and family members had a spontaneous sing along today.
I sang too. My heart overflowing with the treasure of hearing Mema sing like a song bird again. My heart is full to the brim with joy. Her memory may be fading, but my love for her is not.

She still smiles.
She still sings.
She still breathes.
I still love her.

There was an older couple there today. The wife is losing her memories.
But, he still loves her.
Some people my age think it is gross to see two elderly people kiss, but I say it is beautiful.
That is love.
To love when the one you love is fading as memories slip away.
To say I love you many more times in a day since she will forget that you said it after awhile.
To kiss her and tell her she is your darling.
He helps her sing the hymns they once sung for many years.
His eyes are filled with love for her.

Oh, to have a love lasting like that. A love like that is more precious than any sum of money.
A love that goes beyond the "what makes me happy" mentality.
A love that goes beyond the way they physically look.
A love that is faithful and staying even though I know a part of his heart must be breaking each time he has to leave her again. But, he knows it is  best, so his love he will continue to profess and confess as long as he can.

My heart is brim full with joy as I tuck away these memories.
I'm so thankful for this time with her, everyone there, and my Daddy today.


I hope you are having a wonderful weekend full to the brim with joy.

Simply,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post.
    Seeing a loved one gradually lose memory (and hence identity) and the ability to understand is very painful, but I think you have the right attitude. Once a person that works in a "home" for old people with dementia told me that even in advanced stages, after losing all their knowledge, they are still able to understand and respond to the "language of love" and that often caresses, kisses and hugs are the only way to keep them calm.

    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Thank you for taking the time to leave this long and thoughtful comment, whoever you are!

    I hope you are having a nice Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!