Thursday, October 6, 2011

The bloom and a gentle reminder...


It was a long dry summer filled with heat that sucked so much beautiful plant life brittle until it was no more.
Yet, my Momma went out almost every day and watered our few little plants in hopes that some of them would stay. Most of our flowers didn’t make it, but this one potted plant with vibrant red blooms rejoiced and showed its vivacity with the gradual cooling of autumn.

Flickr: Link

It bloomed.
But, it wouldn’t have bloomed without the water in the midst of drought.
I needed that reminder- the reminder to allow the Gardener to water me and quench my thirst.
The reminder that living water satisfies.

As I work to capture a small glimpse of the essence of this bloom’s beauty I’m also reminded of a verse.
It is when He spoke of not being anxious about the future, of not being anxious about tomorrow. He spoke of the birds and the flowers and how they are cared for.

Yet, how much more He cares for me, for us?

Matthew 6:25-34 (ESV)

25 "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
 34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Tomorrow will be anxious for itself.
So, I place down my fears of the future,
I gaze upon this little vibrant bloom and remember that the ultimate Gardner cares for it, yet cares even more for me and you.

I'm cared for.
I'm watered.
I'm cared for.
And, so are you.

This is what my heart sings in this moment-
Psalm 8:3-4, and 9
3When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
   the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
   and the son of man that you care for him?
9O LORD, our Lord,
   how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Do you need to let go of any anxiety and let tomorrow be anxious for itself?

Blessings,
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, this is something I need to be reminded of over and over again. It really helps to look at things like that beautiful flower. Knowing He cares about such seemingly little things gives such assurance of His love and care for us.
    Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,
    (Pretend this is a "real" note on stationery.)

    Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog (crumbs). I'm so happy to get to meet you here. It seems we have much in common: Texas, crochet, similar media tastes, and also chronic illness. For me it's lupus with possible secondary FM.

    In case you don't have friends or family with that struggle, please know I also overdo and pay for it, fight against the tentativeness of plans, get mad at my body and myself and brain fog when I want to learn or write, etc. You are not alone or strange for those struggles. Maybe (I pray) you already have someone near you to tell you that, but I wanted to tell you just in case.

    You are a lovely young woman, inside and out, from what I see here. May God bless and encourage you in His love and approval.

    In Christ,
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda- Hello, Linda! It is something I need to be reminded of too. I'm glad that this post blessed you!!! Thank you for coming by and leaving such a sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Christina,
    (Pretend this is also on some lovely stationary and is tucked away as a happy-mail surprise one day for you. After all, who doesn't like getting happy-mail?)

    We do seem to have a lot in common! I'm sorry that you have lupus. That was one of the things that we had to rule out for me when we were searching for answers.

    Thank so much for taking the time to write all of that! Thankfully I do have a few people who are telling me things such as you wrote. And, I'm blessed to be 'meeting' others in the blogging community too. It means so much to me that you took the time to make sure such things are being spoken into my life. Thank you.

    Thank you very much! I'm honored by your words and blessed by your kindness.

    Blessings and hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!