Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gossip...


Today I share a bit of imperfect prose. I wrote this last night as I wrestled with my worries....


Gossip.

I gossiped about strangers and their silly talk at lunch.
I tried to shrug off the knowing that my tongue was spreading hurt.
Even if the words never reached the ears of those I spoke of, there was nothing life giving, building up, or helpful coming out of me.
I was gossiping.

Gossip.
Gossip hurts.
Things being spoken of me and another causing me to over think things.
Have I acted in a way that gives cause for this to be spoken?
Momma tells me, “No.”
Wise friend tells me, “No.”
Then why am I so worried?
Why this tossing and this turning inside of me and in the bed where I should be asleep?
I fear that the gossip will ruin good things.
Gossip can ruin things if we let it.

If we fuel the flame from the beginning spark- a fire will rage and destroy.

If we each give the rumor-wheel a little push to turn some more- it will spin faster and faster causing chaos for those in the center.  

And, if my heart is filled with worry as I toss and turn at the time of sleep, doesn’t that mean I’m not trusting?

Do I trust Him with gossip?
Do I trust Him with drama?
Do I trust Him with the past wounds that I’m reminded of again?
Do I trust that if I speak truth, don’t fuel the flam or spin the wheel that He will help bring water and gently stop the spinning in His perfect time?

I can’t control what others say.
I can respond and choose not to help the rumors continue when they come my way.
Most of all, I can choose to trust that He is going to help me walk out of the fiery-spinning gossip storm okay.

Do the words of gossip hurt?
Yes, they can.
Does drama help build others up?
No, not really.

So, I put down my hurts, my worry, and fear of what is passing to others ears.
I choose to trust.
I’m doing my part to help the fire and spinning stop.
I trust that He is helping heal any damage that may have been terribly done.

I trust.

James 3:5-12

So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!  And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.” (ESV)

Proverbs 26:22

The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels;
they go down into the inner parts of the body.” (ESV)

Proverbs 16:24

Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body.” (ESV)

May we strive to speak words that build up and not tear down!
Daddy God give us grace and forgiveness when we speak wrongly.

8 comments:

  1. Hi neighbor...Great post...the tongue is a challenge...part of a quote written in my kitchen"..There is death and life in the power of the tongue...poison or antidote...depending on it's use." I need a daily reminder...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff! God has convicted me in this area as well... may we yield to His Spirit in all things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how true...the tongue, wrestling with gossip and drama of words can be so difficult.
    Amen, may we all strive to say life giving words! And, yes, thank you Lord for your mercy and grace when we fail to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was convicted a few years ago about how easy(and fun) it was to gossip. Then I felt the sting of gossip in my own life. It's hard to trust when my life is torn apart by lies, and yet do I truly believe that God is greater than gossip? Good thoughts, well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lotsa people in the house these days... lotsa uncertainty... lotsa gossip. we humans must feel like we have some control when we're pointing out other humans' shortcomings. yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh girl, i love your heart. you long for purity. it's such a beautiful thing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ells- Hello! That is a wonderful quote and a very good reminder in the midst of daily living. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel- Thank you for your kind comment. =)

    Amy Danielle- Thank you! Yes, may we.

    Dorie- Thank you for taking the time to read my heart-pouring and leave a bit of your thoughts! =)

    Alittlebitograce- Thank you for leaving your thoughts from your own journey with gossip! And, thank you for complimenting me.

    Bethany Ann- Thank you for leaving a bit of your thoughts. Yes, perhaps we do think it grants us some control. Or perhaps it is revenge, hurt, anger, trying to feel better about ourselves by tearing others down, or a combination of all of the above. All in all, it is destructive.

    Emily- Thank you for your kind comment. =) By the grace of Daddy God I’m striving and longing for a purer heart.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!