Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Beauty is more than make-up: Interview with Brooke...


Today I have a wonderful interview and photographs to share with all of you.
Let me start of by saying that the reason I chose to interview Brooke and have her share her story with all of you is not because I think that wearing make-up is wrong. However, I do believe that our society is placing way too much emphasis on beauty being about perfection. Also, I think make-up often becomes unhealthy when we don’t feel comfortable without it. I also think that it becomes unhealthy when we think we are only beautiful when we have our make-up on.

I was honored that Brooke was willing to do this interview and also allow me to take pictures of the make-up free her. She truly is a beautiful young woman from the inside out!
When Brooke and I talked about doing this I do believe we both said that if this post blesses and encourages at least one person it will be completely worth all the work. (I've definitely been encouraged and inspired by her too!)

I hope that as Brooke shares her story that you will be blessed.

And now, here is Brooke...
Flickr:Link

Hi Brooke!
Thanks for taking the time to do this interview with me.
First I would like to start off with some basic questions to help readers get to know you a bit.

If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would those three words be?

Optomistic, outgoing, and joyful  

Flickr: Link
 
What has been your favorite part of this summer so far?
My favorite part of this summer has been dancing. At my church we have a dance ministry and we have been getting ready for our dance recital/bennefit! It's been a blast seeing everyone grow not only in their technique, but also with God!

Flickr: Link

Ready for a list of favorites???
Okay. Ready, set, go!
Favorite…


Ice cream: Peanut Buttercup
Color: Yellow
Animal: Kangaroo
Flower: Yellow rose
Season: Winter
Song: Hmm this is a hard one... probably Aftermath by Hillsong
Quote: "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt before. Sing like nobody's listening; live like heaven is on earth." -Mark Twain
Movie: Tangled
Book: Captivating

Flickr: Link

What is your most cherished accessory?
My rings because they each symbolize very important times in my life. I got my first one for my sixteenth birthday. My brother bought me my second ring, and my third one I received as a gift for graduation.
Flickr: Link

What is the best way for you to creatively express yourself?
Dancing, for sure.

Flickr: Link


If you could travel to any place in the world where would you go?
Well for pleasure I would love to go to Australia, but for missions I someday hope to go to Uganda.

What are you most looking forward to the rest of this year?
Going to college!

Thanks for answering those questions!

Now, that we’ve gotten to know you a little bit I would like to talk to you about a recent habit change that you’ve made.

You recently decided to take a break from wearing make-up. (Which I must add is greatly inspiring to me!)


Have you taken a complete break from make-up? (No eyeliner, foundation, mascara, and such at all?)
Yes, I haven't been wearing anything at all except moisturizer. 

Flickr: Link

How long have you been make-up free so far?
I am a week shy from 2 months.

Do you plan to stay make-up free or eventually wear it again?
I am planning to wear make-up for the first time on August 6th. This will make it two months with no make-up and it is when I have my dance recital. As I prayed about it I felt this was just the perfect time to begin wearing it again.

What brought you to the decision of taking a break from make-up?
Well as I was at my youth camp out we were having our last quiet time. Every other quiet time I sat at the same spot but this time as I went to sit in my usual spot I felt God tell me to walk around to the other side of the island. As I looked out over the lake I was in awe of the beauty of it, so I said to God, "Wow this is beautiful, and you made it." Then I heard God's quiet voice say, "I know it is, and I also made you and you are even more beautiful." This obviously hit me hard considering the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE just told me I was beautiful! Then as I began to cry and be still God focused my attention on the women in other countries. How I am so insecure when I live in a country where it is the norm to cover up your flaws and insecurities with make-up. But the women in many foreign countries don't wear make-up so they are forced to live with their insecurities. The only way they feel beautiful is if they actually believe they are beautiful just the way God made them. At this moment God just showed me that the only way I can shake my insecurities is if I begin to believe I am beautiful just the way God made me! :) 

Flickr: Link

Flickr: Link


What are some of the lessons and insights that you have learned on this make-up free journey so far?
I have learned that I hide behind my make up almost all of the time. I am so much more insecure with myself than I ever would have imagined. Another lesson I have learned is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as a Christian women God should be my beholder, and God doesn't look on outwardly appearance as humans do. He looks at the heart and my heart has been pretty stinky lately. He has really been working in me and helping me release all the junk I had unintentionally been holding on to. It's amazing what God shows you when you let Him! 

Flickr: Link


Has it been hard to not wear make-up? If so, why do you think it has been hard?
It has been extremely hard; One because I was already insecure about my appearance, and two because our society is all about the way you look. Sadly societies view of beauty has become so corrupt.

Our society seems to have put a lot of emphasis on beauty being about perfection. How would you define true beauty?
I would define true beauty as being inwardly beautiful. I don't care how "unattractive" you are on the outside if you are beautiful on the inside you will be joyful and everyone will be captivated by this true, rare beauty that so few women in today's society possess.

If you could share one thing that you are learning about beauty with every young girl, teen, and woman, what would you share?
Don't worry about how you look because your outward appearance means nothing if your heart isn't beautiful and pure to God!

Flickr: Link

Thank you so much for taking the time to share and also show that beauty is more than make-up.

Blessings,
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post!! I'm a make up free girl also. I met my hubby when I was 14 and he was never into make-up so I just never wore it. Thank you Brooke and Sarah for this inspiring interview. Oh how I pray that my girls will grow up to be great godly women like you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you loved this post!
    Wow. Thank you so much for your comment. I (and I'm sure Brooke will be too) honored to have you speak so highly of both of us!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you two are truly beautiful inside and out. Very encouraging to hear Brooke talk about this. Totally touched my heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!