Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A little simple secret...

Psst...Want to hear a secret? Albeit, it's not a supremely juicy one. Ready?

*Big breath*

I read children's books aloud to myself. There, I said it. I order them from the library for myself, purchase some of them for myself, and I read them aloud to (you guessed it) myself. Now, of course I love to share them with my youngest brother, with other kiddos that I know, and I even sometimes hold on to children's books with the possibility of my own future children (or nieces and nephews) one day enjoying them. But, I definitely love children's books

Today I was reading Mr. Putter and Tabby Bake the Cake written by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Arthur Howard. I was indeed reading it aloud to myself when the thought struck me-

"Why do I read books, poems, paragraphs, and such aloud to myself?"

I don't think it is because I like to hear my own voice. (Well, maybe I enjoy my voice a little...)
I believe I love reading aloud to myself because I love hearing the flow of the words. I also love the feel of forming the sounds and rhythms with my mouth, tongue, and all the other muscles and parts that release the sound of my voice to roll through the air. There is such a simple joy in rhythmic and gently flowing reading.
I also enjoy children's books because there is a simple beauty often found within their pages. In many ways, as a young child, you view the world with a different set of eyes. When I read sweet children's books I often feel as though I am glimpsing the world from a similar perspective as I did as a child. There is a simplistic beauty in that.

So, I will go on enjoying the simple beauty and feel of the sounds as they roll off of my tongue. I'll go on childlike adventures with my storybook friends and simply enjoy the happy escapades to my hearts content.

When was the last time you held a children's book in your hand?
A few children's books I'm looking forward to re-reading or reading for the first time.
Blessings,
Sarah


3 comments:

  1. I love children's books, too, and I LOVE reading them aloud! I look forward to reading them to grandchildren someday, since my kids don't exactly enjoy it anymore. Maybe I should try reading them aloud to myself, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Sarah, this is Mrs. Ridlehoover. I've had this blogger account for a very long time; I forget my user name is JAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw...I'm glad to know that you love children's books too! I hope one day you are able to delight grandchildren of your own with stories read aloud! =) It can be great fun (at least to me) to read them aloud to oneself.

    Thanks for letting me know! I didn't realize you had a little blog of your own. =) I enjoyed watching the dance recital video that you have posted on there.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!