Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A trio and a hymn...


Today I would like to share a picture and one of my favorite hymns. I like to call this picture a “trio of outcasts”. These three flowers came from separate Mother’s day bouquets that my sister arranged for my Momma and my Mema. I think they make a lovely little trio. If flowers could sing, oh the lovely music these three would make together. 

Taking in the sunshine.  
Flickr: Link

Taking in the dim light.
Flickr: Link 


Speaking of music, a hymn has been running through my head all day today! Ever since I was a little girl I’ve adored hymns. There is a beauty, a history, and such truth in many hymns. In fact, one of my most treasured possessions is a hymnal that once belonged to my Mema. She used to sing in choir and had a beautiful voice. She also taught herself how to play multiple musical instruments (including piano) by ear. When I was younger she would tell me stories about how she would sit beside the radio and teach herself how to play different songs. Though my Mema is still on this earth, she has next to no short term memory ability and I’m not sure if she remembers how to play piano or sing like she used to. I love her dearly and will forever treasure that hymnal. I’ve spent many an evening (when my voice feels well enough) thumbing through that hymnal and singing the songs I know. Sometimes I just make up my own melodies to the words of hymns I don’t know.  

The hymn I would like to share today is I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say. I have the lyrics typed out, but I would also encourage you to have a listen to a version of it by Audrey Assad. Have a listen to it over here: Audrey Assad-Music Myspace
I really like the rawness of Audrey’s rendition. It’s simply her beautiful voice and a piano. I hope you’ll have a listen and enjoy some of her other lovely original music too!

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come unto Me and rest;
Lay down, thou weary one, lay down,
Thy head upon My breast."
I came to Jesus as I was,
Weary and worn and sad;
I found in Him a resting-place,
And He has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Behold, I freely give
The living water; thirsty one,
Stoop down and drink and live."
I came to Jesus, and I drank
Of that life-giving stream.
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
And now I live in Him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"I am this dark world's Light.
Look unto Me; thy morn shall rise
And all thy day be bright."
I looked to Jesus, and I found
In Him my Star, my Sun;
And in that Light of Life I'll walk
Till traveling days are done.


Blessings,
Sarah

2 comments:

Hello and welcome to my blog!
I'm honored that you are at my blogger abode.

I simply ask that you please keep comments clean and respectful. Thank you!

Also, I do my very best to respond back to each and every comment that readers and guests so graciously leave. So, if you leave a comment, be sure to keep an eye out for a personal response back from me!

Blessings!